SubjectRe: GGI Project Unhappy On Linux
Date

Okay, so this is a little bit off-topic....

In article <linux.kernel.Pine.LNX.3.96.980327111253.349D-100000@localhost>,
Marek Habersack <grendel@vip.maestro.com.pl> wrote:
>On Fri, 27 Mar 1998, J. S. Connell wrote:
>
>> > good. So I see no reason why would it disappear! Sure, the normal video
>> > mode may be graphical, but there are many tasks that can be done in text
>> > mode just fine.
>>
>> Why? When's the last time you saw your typical Winbloze user using a
>> text-mode window? Heck, in my experience most of them don't even know how
>> to *start* a DOS prompt, never mind make it full-screen in text mode!
>> *That* is why the text mode is disappearing. Also look at the MediaGX
>> chip, etc.

>I doubt your typical winblowz user will ever switch to Linux. What must be
>done to persuade him to do it?

Provide the applications they want to use.

My mother has asked me about converting her Windows 95 machine to
Linux, and only changed her mind when I told her that she couldn't
get AOL mail running under windows. If she had asked after AOL
had released their java mail client, she'd be running Slackware
or Red Hat right now.

I am not singling you out, but this attitude is one that will lead to
the demise of the free Unices. We HAVE to compete on the desktop,
and we HAVE to keep Linux operating on desktop machines; it is not
possible to match Microsoft feature for feature, or application for
application, but we can do a reasonable facsimile. The alternative
seems to be to retreat from EVERY market where Microsoft has a
presence (cf _Unix Review_, now _Performance Computing_), which will
lead to Unix only being used by die-hard hobbyists, while Windows
controls the desktop, the server room, the internet background, high-
performance computing, scientific computing, computers in space, and
most anything else you can think of.

____
david parsons \bi/ Fighting for the Pure Unix(tm) desktop.
\/

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.037 / U:0.052 seconds]