SubjectRe: GGI Project Unhappy On Linux
On Sat, 28 Mar 1998, Marek Habersack wrote:

> On Sat, 28 Mar 1998, Alan Cox wrote:
>
> > > When Hewlett Packard(tm) actually sunk so low as to design and sell a
> > > "printer", that is not a PRINTER at all, but an electromechanical
> > > extension of the "Windows(r)" Operating System, I knew the end was near.
> >
> > More myths. The HP printers do _not_ implement anything windows specific
> > as has been demonstrated now that people have cracked the protocols. They
> > want arbitary host side processing to feed it bands of bitmapped data
> > and pacing information. Those printers could have gone out with 'Designed
> > for Ghostscript' labels on them too. The only problem was HP being anal
> > about the protocol they use.
> And what about the Oki GDI printers? Don't they implement the GDI printer
> APIs?
>
> later, marek
> ---
Not a myth. When I attempted to find out from Hewlett-Packard what the
protocol was, I was informed (in writing from an Engineering Manager)
that it was a proprietary protocol and that I would have to obtain the
permission of Microsoft before that information would become available.
You see, we wanted to provide a few thousand of these printers with the
CAT-Scanners we produce for the medical industry.

Since our Realtime OS is __NOT__ Windows, there was no way we could
use these new printers.

Therefore, I had to write a Post-Script driver (not hard to do) and
use a Post-Script printer. The Post-Script protocol is not Public
Domain, but anybody can use it with permission.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
***** FILE SYSTEM MODIFIED *****
Penguin : Linux version 2.1.91 on an i586 machine (66.15 BogoMips).

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.107 / U:0.740 seconds]