SubjectRe: GGI and cli/sti in X
linker@nightshade.ml.org writes:

> Sorry Linus, I see a flaw here.. and I'm sure most other people do too..
>
> X is not the only graphical program for Linux. Hopefully, it never will
> be.. Right now I can setup a nice Linux boot disk with a nice SVGAlib
> program. I could never put X on a disk or two. X also uses lots of memory.
>
> Therefor, it would be stupid to force all programers who want graphical
> programming to use X.. It wouldn't be the Linux way (TM).
>
> What would happen with your userspace modesetting daemon when it meets up
> with the likes of a svgalib game.. or dosemu..

The X daemon is part of the X distribution. Part of the svgalib
distribution has it's own daemon. Or, you write a single daemon and
both X and svgalib make calls to it.

Is there really any problem writing a standard daemon for Linux which
must be used by any process wanting to fiddle with graphics modes?
Sure, it's a change to the interface people are used to, but, hey, so
would KGI be!

Regards,

Richard....

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.142 / U:0.308 seconds]