SubjectRe: Minimal kernel support for user-space graphics drivers
On Sat, Mar 28, 1998 at 07:21:29PM -0500, Illuminatus Primus wrote:

> What's wrong with using modules?

1) A bug in a module can trash the whole kernel. This is a step
backwards compared with now, where a graphics driver bug usually
only trashes the console.
2) It's very different from the way other XFree86 platforms handle
things. This makes it difficult for cross-platform XFree86 to
handle. I'm hoping that my way is similar enough to the normal
way that Xfree86 can handle it. In particular you could make
a user space proglet interpreter that handled things on OSs
that didn't support in-kernel proglets. This would be no worse
than the present situation.
3) We are currently very bad at keeping the module interface stable
across kernel releases. Assuming this doesn't change it makes it
almost impossible to distribute a module with a (binary release
of) an X server.
4) You can make the proglet interpreter a module of course.

--
Erik Corry