    SubjectRe: kmod freezes
    On Sat, 4 Apr 1998, CD323 wrote:

    >> BTW, there is another annoying bug: if I don' t add this line:
    >>
    >> post-install parport modprobe -k parport_lowlevel
    >>
    >> to /etc/conf.modules, parport_pc is not loaded at it should be. This
    >> workaround change also the time when parport_pc is loaded and don' t work
    >> in a configuration of CONFIG_PARPORT=y CONFIG_PARPORT_PC=m and
    >> CONFIG_PRINTER=m.
    >
    >this is not a kmod issue. please take this up with the parallel port
    >driver maintainers. it looks to me like parport_pc is at no time
    >requested by any of the other parallel port driver components, and so
    >needs to be "manually" loaded from /etc/modules.conf. thanks.

    I am one of the parport developer. You are wrong. parport_enumerate() in
    parport_share.c recall request_module() that _should_ load the module
    parport_lowlevel that must be defined as an alias in /etc/conf.modules.
    Then when __lp__ and not __parport__ is load parport_enumerate() will be
    recalled from the lp initialization but parport_lowlevel is lot loaded due
    a kmod bug. The workaround is buggy too because parport_lowlevel must be
    load not when parport is load but when a pardevice module is load.

    The same bug is shown by the scsi_hostadapter alias in the scsi code.

    Andrea[s] Arcangeli

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.023 / U:0.444 seconds]