    SubjectRe: Linux-2.1.92 - Feature Freeze
    Date

    > It really is wise.
    >
    > The MicroSoft PnP standard is truly a really _bad_ standard. I refuse to
    > have that kind of setup in my kernel - the whole point with Linux it to
    > have an operating system that is _better_ than the crud MS keeps throwing
    > out.
    >
    > Have you noticed how well Linux autodetects hardware even _without_ any PR
    > sticker that says "PnP" on it? PnP is just a marketing term. We need some
    > very minimal support to avoid trampling on some IO ranges etc, but we
    > don't want anything more than the minimal requirements, because we aren't
    > going to make the same silly mistakes MS does.
    >
    > Linus

    Far be it for me to argue with the master of all that compiles. This
    discussion is turning into a philosophical one about the validity of
    features, just like the whole GGI mess. For ANY interface that is
    important, such as PnP compatibility, it needs some kernel code. Saying
    that M$ did it wrong is only an excuse that you can use for while.
    Yes, M$ does espouse the epitomy of crap, BUT that crap is who we're
    trying to run Linux on (unfortunately too many Costco, Circuit City, and
    other wherehouse shops push these). I agree that the kernel is the wrong
    place to put the kitchen sink, but we at least need a supply line and
    drain! The kernel should have the minimal amount of code needed to
    support the hardware in an efficient and robust manner. Only if a
    particular extension can be proven worthy, should it too be included.

    But, to attempt to dodge the PnP issue because of M$ bigotry, doesn't
    get you running on those flawed devices. I hate M$ more than you do.

    The kernel should have enough code to gracefully handle and detect PnP
    devices, it DOESN'T need a full "find me an IRQ and IO range, and do
    it non-invasively" implementation, but it needs enough to work.

    --Perry

    --
    Perry Harrington Linux rules all OSes. APSoft ()
    email: perry@apsoft.com Think Blue. /\