SubjectRe: The GGI and EvStack debate -- Linus and such persons please reard.

On Fri, 27 Mar 1998, Pavel Machek wrote:

> Ok, I'll try to enlighten you.

No, I'll enlighten you.

> > The thing we already had and that everybody is already using is called a
> > "tty".
>
> There's problem with tty. Big problem: Raw keyboard does not suit well
> there. To exploit: Run X on tty9. (X use raw keyboard). Now switch to
> tty1. Hold down Alt, press F9. Leave alt pressed, type ABC. Will X see
> ABC or Alt-A Alt-B Alt-C? They will see the first one. BUG BUG BUG.

"Ooh, mommy, mommy, what I have now doesn't work in this extremely
unlikely circumstance, so I'll just throw it away and write something
completely new".

The above has been one of the major problems with GGI from the very
beginning. Instead of taking something that WORKS (like X11) and fixing a
few small nagging problems, you now try to advocate a completely new
subsystem.

That is just STUPID. Let us review history a bit, and think about the
saying "If I have seen further, it has been by standing on the shoulders
of giants".

Think about it for a few minutes. Really.

THINK, DAMMIT! What the hell is the point of throwing away something that
works 99.9% of the time for the extremely lame excuse that it fails 0.1%
of the time? Instead, the GGI debate has always been how everything must
be rewritten to use new and completely untested interfaces that currently
work 0% of the time, as it if is easier to fix that..

Yes, I'm frustrated about the whole discussion, because EVERY SINGLE
TECHNICAL ARGUMENT that I've ever heard for GGI has been so fundamentally
broken. GGI is throwing out the baby with the bathwater, and never even
noticing.

Linus

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.130 / U:0.004 seconds]