    SubjectRe: GGI Project Unhappy On Linux
    On Fri, 27 Mar 1998, Marek Habersack wrote:

    > What are you talking about? PCs have always had a text mode and it worked
    > good. So I see no reason why would it disappear! Sure, the normal video
    > mode may be graphical, but there are many tasks that can be done in text
    > mode just fine.

    Why? When's the last time you saw your typical Winbloze user using a
    text-mode window? Heck, in my experience most of them don't even know how
    to *start* a DOS prompt, never mind make it full-screen in text mode!
    *That* is why the text mode is disappearing. Also look at the MediaGX
    chip, etc.

    > Eh? It uses the same hardware what gfx mode.

    You really *don't* know anything about PC video hardware, do you?

    > Huh? When setting a mode the card doesn't give a damn about what the current
    > video mode is! It simply fills the registers with pre-set values in the
    > given order. Perhaps you were talking about software?

    As Alan Cox has stated, and as I know from personal experience[1]: you can
    go from a known video state to a known video state, and you can go from a
    known video state to an unknown (i.e., garbage) video state. You cannot,
    short of resetting the card (which typically takes a reboot), go from an
    unknown state to a known state. It simply doesn't work that way. Why?
    Because the people who designed the VGA video hardware were idiots (IMHO).
    That's why kernel-arbitrated video mode changing is needed, and that's what
    KGI is. As Varg pointed out so eloquently, KGI is a leetle teeny tiny
    piece of GGI that needs to be in the kernel. The rest doesn't.

    Jeffrey Sean Connell | Systems Administrator, zSolution. | PGP key at

    [1] I wrote low-level code in assembly to talk to video cards, among other
    things, before I found Linux. No fun at all.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.019 / U:6.428 seconds]