SubjectRe: Linux-2.1.92 - Feature Freeze
On Fri, 3 Apr 1998, Linus Torvalds wrote:

[Horst von Brand questions the sanity of not having complete PNP in 2.2]
> It really is wise.
>
> The MicroSoft PnP standard is truly a really _bad_ standard. I refuse to
> have that kind of setup in my kernel - the whole point with Linux it to
> have an operating system that is _better_ than the crud MS keeps throwing
> out.
>
> Have you noticed how well Linux autodetects hardware even _without_ any PR
> sticker that says "PnP" on it? PnP is just a marketing term. We need some
> very minimal support to avoid trampling on some IO ranges etc, but we
> don't want anything more than the minimal requirements, because we aren't
> going to make the same silly mistakes MS does.
>
> Linus

MS does not create the hardware, if your intention is to have a system
that can support all sane hardware configurations thats fine..

People need enough PnP to be able to boot from a PNP ISA device without
relying on initrd tricks. (Yes, ISA PNP is both an abomination and an
oxy moron)

If you can accomplish that with very minimal support.. GREAT!
However, if such a situation requires more.. Then would it not be wise to
provide a config option for such situation?

Gregory Maxwell

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.111 / U:0.140 seconds]