    SubjectIO-APIC IRQs strange? (was Re: linux 2.1.98 sound timeouts)
    Michael Poole <> writes:

    > I'm seeing the same thing, and have been for a while, with my sound
    > card as well -- however, it gives the time out error every time an app
    > tries to use the wave output functions, and all I hear are quiet clicks.

    After a patch from Artur Skawina that "should" have better supported
    my sound card didn't give any better results, I did a bit more digging.
    It turned up a very surprising result -- /proc/interrupts doesn't list
    all the interactions between IRQs and interrupt handlers that I was
    expecting, and this meant that I had been looking in entirely the wrong
    place for problems.

    I discovered the discrepancy by booting back to 2.0.33, where I fully
    expected sound to work -- after all, it had worked before. However, it
    did not -- the ad1848 driver failed the IRQ10 test, which is where my
    (non-PNP) sound card lives. So I looked in /proc/interrupts, and it
    revealed said that my aic7xxx and Intel EEPro100 were on IRQ 10. Under
    2.1.x, these were listed under IRQ 19 -- so I had assumed there was no
    conflict. I was wrong. After going into the BIOS and listing IRQ 10
    (and a number of others, after trial and error) as being used by ISA
    peripherals, 2.0.33 reported the SCSI and NIC being on IRQ 14, and sound
    worked again -- both in 2.0.33 and 2.1.97.

    So this raises a question in my mind: Why were the SCSI and network
    cards causing interference, apparently slurping away the interrupts
    which "should" have been received by the sound card driver? I understand
    that it was a misconfiguration on my part in the first place, but I
    didn't guess it until today because guessing was virtually all I could
    do under the 2.1 kernels. Would it be somehow possible to discover, if
    not rectify, this kind of occurence? I am willing and able to test
    patches to diagnose or to try to fix this, if any experienced kernel
    hackers are interested.

    - Michael

    P.S.: the Sound Galaxy driver from Artur Skawina is in good working
    order, now that the other problems have been fixed.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.021 / U:17.084 seconds]