SubjectRe: very strange ppp problems
Hi Tyler.

> I hope someone can help me with this very strange, anoying,
> frustrating problem with ppp. This problem occurs under the 2.0 and
> 2.1 series kernel, with the current pppd. Basicly, some files
> refuse to download past the 15-18k mark. They will go great, at
> 2.3-3.0k/sec then as soon as it gets around 18k the download will
> just stop.

> It happens only on certain files, for example the redhat boot
> disks, slack boot disks, icq self-extracting executable at a 100%
> repetable failure rate.

I would HAVE to suspect a problem with your pppd configuration since I
have on several occasions downloaded the redhat boot disks across pppd
links, and also across non-pppd links, and have yet to have a problem
doing so.

> I run ipmasq on this machine and if I am downloading one of the
> offending files via ipmasq the same problem occures and a failed
> tcp/udp checksum accompinies it at the time of failure. If I am
> going direct to this box no error messages are logged but I still
> have the same problem. It is definitly the files them selves, and
> not the hosts because no mater where I download them from it will
> allways die, in the same place.

> Some workarounds I have found for it include gziping the file and
> then downloading it or using scp to get it over (similiar to rcp
> but encrypted with ssh).

That suggests that your ppp link is susceptible to data patterns, and
the IMMEDIATE suspicion is that you're using software handshaking
between your computer and modem, in which case ASCII 19 decimal will
freeze the link every time, as will ASCII 147 on many modems. If so,
either switch to hardware handshaking (enable the ctsrts option) or
escape ASCII codes 17, 19, 145 and 147 to prevent this.

> Ok now for the setup of this box. I have a 33.6 modem, works great
> for everything else. This is kernel 2.1.96 but I have had this
> problem in both the stable and devel series. SMP is not compiled
> in.

> Thanks in advance for any help you can provide in helping me solve
> this problem and of course thanks to everyone that makes linux the
> best operating system out there :)

Hopefully this has helped...

Best wishes from Riley.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.080 / U:0.256 seconds]