SubjectRe: daemonless kmod & auto module unloading
On Fri, 24 Apr 1998, Rik van Riel wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've seen all the threads regarding daemonless kmod
> and the resulting problems in losing module unloading
> capabilities.

Kernel-Wizards,

I must admit that with all the kmod problems and patches floating
around, I have been extremely reluctant to try any of the new kernels. I
am running 2.1.88 at home, and have tried most of the new patchlevels since
then (my source is patched to 2.1.98). However, my system is highly
modularized, and I have had nothing but Oopses with kmod. I believe the
idea and the implementation of kmod is sound, and I'd really like to see it
become stable and reliable. At the same time, I would hope that the
feature set of kmod does not become reduced from what kerneld provided.
My reason for posting is to suggest that the absolute switch from
kerneld to kmod may have been premature. Would it be better to support
both (obviously not concurrently) in the kernel build, similar to
backward-compatible /proc/pci and binfmt-java? Pardon my ignorance if the
support is already there (I saw nothing in the docs about it).

thanks,
-bp
--
B. James Phillippe <bryan@terran.org>