SubjectRe: Swap vs. ext2 fragmentation avoidance?
And lo, James Mastros saith unto me:
> Somthing has occured to me reading the discussions on
> memory-fragmentation: why we can't effectivily use ext2fs's
> fragmentation-avoidiance with our memory? I'm shure I'm missing somthing
> /really/ simple here, but I don't know what it is.
(1) most of memory is filled by the page cache and running programs,
neither of which suffer any penalty from fragmentation in physical memory.

(2) Likewise, the pages in memory don't often correspond to whole things
such that they could be kept track of together even if they did care.

(3) e2fs's fragmentation avoidance breaks down when you run low on free
space. With physical memory, if you're not low on free physical memory
either something's wrong or you just quit a big application. The key to
good performance is to keep nearly all your memory in use and shift back
and forth between cache and program space as needs change...

Keith

--
"The avalanche has already started; |Linux: http://www.linuxhq.com |"Zooty,
it is too late for the pebbles to |KDE: http://www.kde.org | zoot