Subject2.1.97 bug potpouri
	I am experiencing a variety of bugs in 2.1.97.  I have
decided to catalog them on this list at this stage, just so
people experiencing similar problems can notice common elements.

All of these bugs are from the same slightly hacked 2.1.97
kernel, compiled with SMP definied, and with only romfs and the
initial ramdisk support compiled other. Other necessary modules
are loaded by an initial ramdisk that runs from /sbin/init rather
than /linuxrc and exits by mounting the new root on /mnt and
doing "cd /mnt && exec /mnt/bin/chroot /mnt /sbin/init".

Here is a description of the machines and what I
experience when I run 2.1.97 on each of the machine, and a
description of the machines. To start with, here is the
network topology:

|- asgard (modem)---------------------(modem) adamhome
|- adam
|- cdrom1
|- freya
|- hilda
|- other machines not running 2.1.97, internet connection
100Mbps
ethernet,

adam.yggdrasil.com
single 300MHz Pentium II + 128M SDRAM
intel single cpu slot motherboard
single scsi disk on a Diamond FirePort 40 (ncr53c8__) controller
using ncr53c8xx driver
tulip 100MHz ethernet card using tulip driver
IDE cdrom
Things work great, except for when I telnet in directly from my
home machine (adamhome.yggdrasil.com), which runs 2.0.0. In that
situation, my telnet connections hang every now and then if I
do something that generates a little more than a screenful of
output very quickly (e.g., starting a text editor, running "more").
The connection will hang for about 5-10 minutes and then will close
with an error like "connection reset by peer." It is possible to make
other direct telnet connections and have them work while this is going on,
but they seem to hang more quickly once one connection has entered
this hung state.

adamhome.yggdrasil.com
notebook computer
ti486 (386 clone) + 12MB RAM
pcmcia modem
umsdos root filesystem on IDE disk
The ramdisk dies after mounting the root filesystem on /mnt, with
the following messages:
UMSDOS dentry-VIP-Beta 0.82-3 (compatability level 0.4, fast msdos)
/mn/ kill_dentry: kill_dentry --linux--.---: inode is NULL
emd_dir_lookup: <7>umsdos_setup_dir_inode: umsdos_emd_dir_lookup for inode=c0ba7400 returned 00000000
The "/mn/", makes me think that there is at least an off-by-one
error is some manipulation of filenames (I would assume it wants "/mnt").

asgard.yggdrasil.com
single Pentium Pro 180MHz + 128MB RAM
intel venus single cpu motherboard
Adaptec 2940 scsi controller with scsi disks
At least one IDE disk too.
Cyclades 8 port ISA smart serial card
tulip ethernet card using tulip driver
This machine routes networking connections from the modems on the
multiport serial card to the local ethernet.
I have just switched this machine to 2.1.97 for the evening as
an experiment. It seems copasetic, although large sets of file
transfers across the local ethernet from this machine seem slower
when it is running 2.1.97. However, I get the following rather
disconcerting error message about once every ten minutes:
"(scsi0:-1:-1:-1) Data Parity Error during PCI address or PCI writephase".

cdrom1.yggdrasil.com
Pentium 150MHz + 32MB RAM
cd writer attached to ncr53c810 scsi controller using ncr53c8xx driver
some ide disks
tulip ethernet card using tulip driver
This machine generates receives about sixteen CDROM images each
day over the 100bT ethernet, sometimes from different machines at
the same time, so it gives the networking code a good workout.
Network transfers of even one CD image hang the connection under
2.1.97, even though it is still possible to ping the machine.
Unlike the case with connection from my home machine to my office
workstation, I cannot log into this machine again. Instead, I open
the telnet connection and do not get a login prompt. There are
two interesting messages that I get on this machine:

recvmsg bug: copied 46B9E551 seq 46B9EB05
(sometimes this is reapeated many times, but not always)
and
apm_bios: set display standby: Unrecognized device ID
apm_bios: set display read: Unrecognized device ID

I am going to test this machine with APM disbabled.

freya.yggdrasil.com
Single 300MHz Pentium II in Tyan dual PII motherboard + 128MB SDRAM
4 IDE disks
a bunch of scsi disks on a Diamond FirePort 40 (ncr53c8__) controller
using ncr53c8xx driver
tulip ethernet card using tulip driver
Even if comment out all entries in /etc/fstab that define swap
partitions, I get flooded with "trying to free nonexistant swap-page"
errors on the console.

hilda.yggdrasil.com
133MHz Pentium + 32MB RAM
1 scsi disk on ncr53c810 controller
tulip ethernet card
two 4-port dumb serial cards
This machine seems to work fine under 2.1.97 so far. It has only
been running it for about a half hour.

This is not a "help! rescue me!" message. Rather, I just think this
collection of data may be useful to other people either experiencing
similar problems that they are trying to isolare or working on the
relevant sections of the kernel. Also, I hope that this will provide
a sense of what remains to be done to produce a stable 2.2.

Finally, please do not take this message as too harsh of a criticism
of 2.1.97. I love 2.1.97. From the SMP to the demand loading of
modules to the faster copies and ieee-1284 parallel port probing, it
is great stuff. I really cannot do justice to all of the contributions
that have been made. So, for now, I'll just say thank you for your
contributions one and all, and especially Linus! It's more great work.

Adam J. Richter __ ______________ 4880 Stevens Creek Blvd, Suite 205
adam@yggdrasil.com \ / San Jose, California 95129-1034
fax +1 408 261-6631 "Free Software For The Rest Of Us."

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.044 / U:0.360 seconds]