    SubjectRe: daemon-less kmod & Alpha no-go!

    On Tue, 21 Apr 1998, James Mastros wrote:

    > I don't think glibc is the source of the problem:
    > 1) In-kernel stuff, kmod included, dosn't link against/use [g]libc --
    > doing so would open a nice big curcular-logic hole. Libc should map
    > user-space calling conventions to kernel conventions, so the kernel
    > has no need of it. Also, you can't assume that the Linux kernel will
    > be compiled on a Linux system -- otherwise, where can we compile it
    > before we have Linux up and running?
    > 2) Take a look at kmod.c -- it dosn't use any glibc headers anyway.
    > If this change fixes the problem, then it is because the Alpha's
    > sigfillset is broken -- possibly because it is defined as a struct of
    > unsigned long sig[_NSIG_WORDS] instead of unsigned int sig[_NSIG_WORDS]?
    > It would seem to me (with no experiance with non-ia32 processors, I
    > should note) that we want somthing with sizeof(foo)==1, which is more
    > likely int then long.

    Well, this is what the kernel defines for sigfillset:

    extern inline void sigfillset(sigset_t *set)
    switch (_NSIG_WORDS) {
    memset(set, -1, sizeof(sigset_t));
    case 2: set->sig[1] = -1;
    case 1: set->sig[0] = -1;

    I'm not used to seeing the 'default:' identifier placed first in a case
    statement, but my K&R book is at work. Is this legal if we wish the other
    cases to be considered? I always thought that the first lexical match won

    Given that _NSIG_WORDS == 1 in an alpha, then we either execute the
    memset() operation (which looks exactly equivalent to what my hack does),
    or set->sig[0] = -1. In the latter case, I assume that (int) -1 is
    promoted to the equivalent value in (unsigned long) which _should_ also be
    correct. Either I'm missing something very obvious (likely), or the
    problem is subtle. Anyone?

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.022 / U:3.848 seconds]