    SubjectRe: driver for Creative Labs DVD kits (are the drives or the decoders what is flaky)
    I may be mistaken in thinking it is the decoders not the drives.  Please
    let me know if I am, I may need to reverse some advice to customers and
    suggest that they buy new drives not new decoders if you are correct.
    Since I have not actually bought one myself, I only know these things
    indirectly.

    I have been getting reports that these kits tend to crash systems, not
    get along with a lot (maybe most) motherboards, that Creative Labs
    recalled the first batch of them, etc., and I would like to know more
    from those who may understand the real situation with them.

    Hans

    http://www.idiom.com/~beverly/retail_dpl.html

    linker@nightshade.ml.org wrote:

    > I've never seen a problem with the DVXR2 cards.. Just the darn drives.. 2
    > so far that have just stopped reading DVD discs and 2 others that stoped
    > rading CDRs..
    >
    > On Mon, 20 Apr 1998, Hans Reiser wrote:
    >
    > > I am very biased in this (I sell hollywood decoders on the side), but
    > > wouldn't it be better to write drivers for decoders that are less buggy
    > > than the creative labs ones? I hear really horrible things about the
    > > Creative Labs ones. I believe any of our other competitors are more
    > > reliable than Creative Labs. Please correct me if I am unfairly
    > > slamming Creative Labs.
    > >
    > > Hans
    > >
    > > (If you want to know what I sell, or simply want a reliable DVD kit, try
    > > http://www.idiom.com/~beverly/retail_dpl.html)

    > > > It also depends on the kind of NDA. If we can reassure them we want to
    > > > know how to drive the external (PC) API for the device not take apart and
    > > > ship source to their loaded DSP firmware then perhaps we can get somewhere.
    > > > The biggest problem I've had so far is finding anyone in CCube who will
    > > > even talk. Its not so much as 'you dont exist go away' as 'we dont exist go
    > > > away'
    > > >
    > > > Alan
    > > >
    > > > -
    > > > To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
    > > > the body of a message to majordomo@vger.rutgers.edu
    > >
    > > -

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.024 / U:0.192 seconds]