    SubjectRe: unicode (char as abstract data type)
    18-Apr-98 00:05 you wrote:
    > On Sat, 18 Apr 1998, Albert D. Cahalan wrote:
    > > > To convert what? We have multiple encodings because we have multiple
    > > > languages, and conversion through Unicode is useful only within the
    > > > language because otherwise there will be nothing to map into. koi8-r and
    > > > iso8859-1 charsets have no common characters except the 7-bit ASCII range.
    > >
    > > You have multiple Russian encodings.
    > I certainly don't. If anything for any reason can arrive at my host in
    > Russian, in encoding other than koi-8, it gets converted once (and yes,
    > UTF-8 is used as intermediate format). The same happens with all properly
    > installed Unix boxes with cyrillic support.
    > > There are multiple Czech encodings.
    > > I'm fairly sure most European languages have at least two encodings,
    > > thanks to Bill Gates and the ISO.
    > iso8859-5 is something that exists only in someone's sick mind, however
    > DOS and Windows encodings are alive, and people already configured their
    > software to convert them when it's necessary. And we/they certainly don't
    > need yet another one.
    PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE explain how I am could tune my VLM.EXE OR NET.EXE to
    handle koi8-r in filenames! And the same about Mac AppleTalk client...

    > > > I have never seen users voluntairily using different encodings of the
    > > > same language on the same OS -- originally multiple encodings for the same
    > > > languages were created because of incompatible operating systems and
    > > > hardware.
    > >
    > > People share both disk and network filesystems with other OSs.
    > ...and in that case they have to keep the same charset on all systems
    > that are supposed to read files -- for simple reason of being capable of
    > understanding the data in their files.
    You are completely wrong. Our web (and not only our!) server has (on server
    side) files in both windows-1251 and koi8-r encoding. And in near future
    there will be Mac encoding (Mac users are just connected and there is still
    no content from them on web :-)

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.022 / U:67.376 seconds]