SubjectRe: 2.1.93..
On Fri, 17 Apr 1998, Gerard Roudier wrote:

> If you are willing to be fine with the user's view of disks, you can
> allow users to affect identifiers or names to disks and register this
> information somewhere.
> The right place for this information is, IMO, the disk itself.

This is what NT does, by the way : they put a 32-bit integer in the first
sector, next to the partition map (at offset 0x1b8, precisely).
Unfortunately, LILO trashes it (that was quite a unilateral move from MS),
making the Disk Administrator complain that it cannot find its babies, and
asking for permission to put a "harmless" signature on the disks. If you
allow LILO to touch a disk which is a part of a stripe set (that happened
to me), you're going to have tough times... NT won't mount the partition
again. I've read somewhere that NT5 was moving away from this system --
and it would be darn right : the standard for partition tables has been
broken. Perhaps it could be wiser to tag the *partitions* themselves (in
the superblock, probably)..