SubjectRe: Euro symbol

Johan Myreen wrote:
> On 17 Apr 1998, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

>> I thought it had been assigned code point U+20A0 EURO-CURRENCY SIGN a
>> long time ago? (It's listed in Unicode 2.0; I am pretty sure it is
>> older than that.)

> You are joking, right? Do you really expect people and
> programmers to start using and supporting Unicode in the near
> future?

Peter was just questioning the word "pending" in the phrase
"pending allocation in the Unicode charset".

Hey, I was just thinking it's been a long time since we
had a big flame war here about Unicode.

Why does the Euro need a special character anyway? Most of
the currencies it replaces don't have a special character.
Perhaps we could just refer to it as 'The currency formerly
known as the Euro' and thus avoid having to use a special
symbol...

--
Erik Corry