    SubjectRe: unicode (char as abstract data type)
    On Sat, 18 Apr 1998, NIIBE Yutaka wrote:

    > Ulrich Drepper writes:
    > > UTF-8 is normally meant to be the external representation of UCS2 or
    > > UCS4.
    > Yes. But it can be used for internal representation of something
    > other than UCS2/UCS4. See Plan9 for internal representation.

    But it can't be formally called "UTF-8" -- UTF-8 is explicitly defined
    as the encoding for Unicode only.

    > Or please look at our attempt for GNU Emacs using UTF-8-like encoding
    > for MULE-character set:
    > Nowadays (escpcially for Chinese characters), I think that the system
    > should not define "what the character is", instead, we need mechanism
    > supporting users to define "what the character is" in ways of
    > methods/library/features.
    > Text by coded character set is not the ultimate solution. We know
    > that any coded character set is optimized solution (short cut) for
    > computer technology. We need something beyond coded character set to
    > get real internatinalization and multilingualization.

    If something is going to solve with the original problem, it most
    likely will be done by providing not least-common-denominator unified
    encoding but unified way of representing/labeling multiple encoding and
    using their processing methods, so to handle previously unknown on one's
    system charset/language one will only need to add a set of shared-library
    "plugins" and fonts that will handle representation, processing and input
    methods for that charset/language.

    Filesystem can be just kept out of it and provide byte-transparent way
    to use files and their names.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.022 / U:7.040 seconds]