    SubjectRe: unicode (char as abstract data type)
    Ulrich Drepper writes:
    > UTF-8 is normally meant to be the external representation of UCS2 or
    > UCS4.

    Yes. But it can be used for internal representation of something
    other than UCS2/UCS4. See Plan9 for internal representation.

    Or please look at our attempt for GNU Emacs using UTF-8-like encoding
    for MULE-character set:
    ftp://akebono.etl.go.jp/project/utf-2000-19980416.diff
    http://turnbull.sk.tsukuba.ac.jp/Tools/XEmacs/utf-2000.html

    Nowadays (escpcially for Chinese characters), I think that the system
    should not define "what the character is", instead, we need mechanism
    supporting users to define "what the character is" in ways of
    methods/library/features.

    Text by coded character set is not the ultimate solution. We know
    that any coded character set is optimized solution (short cut) for
    computer technology. We need something beyond coded character set to
    get real internatinalization and multilingualization.

    At least, for Japanese, we realy need something beyond coded character
    set. Currently in Japan, novelists, (Chinese/Japanese...) language
    researchers, printing industries, computer scientists, computer
    engineers fight a battle each other for coded character set. We can
    see articles about "MOJI-code problem" in major news papers (Yomiuri,
    Asahi, Nikkei) in these days. MOJI means character in Japanese.

    Thanks,
    --
    NIIBE Yutaka