    SubjectRe: init is pid 1 vs. initrd
    Date
    > H. Peter Anvin <hpa@transmeta.com> wrote:
    > > But you can't do that if the process you're running in is holding the
    > > old root open. This is why I propose telling the kernel where the
    > > pivot is, and then exiting (no processes running.)
    >
    > Why would it be holding the old root open?

    Because it is the root directory. If you don't have a handle to the
    old root, then you have already lost

    > Just to re-iterate, I'm envisioning:

    > mount new root
    > cd /
    > exec new init
    > free old root
    >
    > True, you can't free up the ram disk if you have some prehistoric
    > process hanging around. That's a feature, not a bug.
    >
    > I guess I am expecting to be able to do a little surgery to pull
    > any references to the old root from any running processes. Basically,
    > I'm envisioning that each such reference would be replaced with
    > a reference to the new root, but I don't see why this is dangerous.

    I just don't understand why you insist on doing it the hard way. All
    of this is more complexity and doesn't add any generality, so why
    bother?

    -hpa

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.020 / U:0.476 seconds]