SubjectRe: 2.1.93..
Hi Ragnar.

>> I'm not sure whether this will help, but my $0.02's worth here is my
>> understanding of the steps involved in booting up an IBM PC clone...

>> 3. BIOS uses its internal code to select a drive to be the boot
>> drive. This may have been set as one of the ROM BIOS options.

> Just for completion, I guess.. After POST, the BIOS calls INT 0x19, which
> tries to read and copy boot code to 0x0c700 (?) and continue execution on
> that address. Normally[1], it tries to read first from the first fd and
> then from the first hd (MBR). If the MBR is found, it is executed and
> tries to find an active partition. If an active partition is found, the
> boot sector of that partition is executed.

> If no active partition is found, um, I don't remember what happened then.
> And I wonder what the hell does compaq with those `on-partition' BIOSes.

>> 4. BIOS loads head 0, track 0, sector 1 into memory and runs whatever
>> it finds there. This is presumably LILO.

> Not necessarily.. you can have LILO on a floppy, LILO on the MBR, or LILO
> on a partition's boot sector.

> [1] That is, unless you have `reordered' your drives in the BIOS.

That's basically what I understood to be the process, with a few
details I wasnae aware of added. Given that, it is presumably not
too hard to get the following:

1. LILO can find out which drive it was loaded from, and label that
drive as being the primary drive.

2. LILO can find out which controller that drive is on, and label
that controller as being the primary controller.

3. LILO can find out what other drives are attached to the primary
controller, and deal with those first.

4. LILO can track down any other controllers, and the drives that
are attached to them, AFTER the above steps have been done.

Presumably too simple...

Best wishes from Riley.
---
* K.I.S.S. = Keep It Stupidly Simple.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.462 / U:0.032 seconds]