SubjectPCI Device Driver Development

I am currently trying to develop a PCI device driver for a TrueTime
GPS card. The supporting documentation shows that it has over 400
accessible command and status registers. My question is what is the
process for determining the location in IO space or memory address
space during the installation/probing of the PCI devices? I am
successfully able to see the device and vender ID with the kernel
calls to read the PCI configuration registers. According to the PCI
specification I should be able to set the base address registers to
map the card to some physical address. Is this done by the kernel's PCI
probing or do I have to set the address when I initialize the card?
And if so, how do I select an address that will not conflict with
another allocated address or installed physical memory.

If you can direct me to any source code or documentation that would
help me solve this problem I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you.

Dave Deal

David A. Deal Titan
Software Engineer Information Technology and Applications Division
3033 Science Park Road http://www.titan.com
San Diego, CA 92121 ddeal@titan.com
(work) (619) 597-9097 (fax) (619) 552-9718