SubjectRe: mount -o loop
Hi Peter.

> Does anyone have loopback mounts working right in late 2.0.x
> kernels?

I have one in use on my system, 2.0.33 kernel under RH 5.0...

> I used to have it going perfectly in my 2.0.25, but it seems to
> have stopped working (losetup works but mount throws the kernel
> into a loop insteaad of looping the mount :-). It could be my
> patches .... but I had the opportunity today of trying a stock RH
> 4.2 (2.0.30) machine in one of student labs, and blow me and
> loopback mounts don't work on it either, with exactly the same
> symtoms! No mount. cpu goes wild. Can't kill mount, etc.

> This is just a prober before I start looking. I have mount 2.5m and
> libc 5.4.38. The RH 4.2 system I tried had what you'd expect.

On the machine I have it on, /usr is remote NFS mounted, and I
discovered that with my setup, I couldn't use any of the programs in
/usr/sbin because of their permissions, so I set up a loopback file to
hold the contents of that directory...this is on my print server...

Not sure what I should've done, but I compiled a kernel with the
loopback device hard compiled in, then put the following entries in
/etc/fstab

Q> Moroni:/net/usr /usr ext2 defaults,ro
Q> /Loops/usr-sbin /usr/sbin ext2 defaults,loop

I then initialised the loopback file with the following commands:

Q> mkdir /Loops
Q> cd /Loops
Q> dd if=/dev/zero of=usr-sbin bs=1024 count=1536
Q> mke2fs usr-sbin
Q> cd /usr
Q> tar czvf /mnt/usr-sbin.tgz sbin
Q> mount /usr/sbin
Q> tar xzvf /mnt/usr-sbin.tgz

I never had any problems setting it up, and I've been using it for
some time. It's mounted every time, with no problems at all...

> I managed to just about run mk2fs on a looped file, but mkdosfs
> refused outright (no geometry). I couldn't mount either.

I've never been able to get mkdosfs to initialise a file for loopback
either, but mke2fs has no problems - it just asks "Not a device file,
use anyway?" and when I say "y" it goes ahead and sets it up...

Best wishes from Riley.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:1.688 / U:0.008 seconds]