SubjectRe: 2.1.95 patch for serial consoles
From
   From: Keith Owens <kaos@ocs.com.au>
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 1998 23:29:29 +1000

Also a paranoia patch to the serial console
setup code, the hardware should have started with DLAB off but just in
case ...

For your information, that patch isn't strictly necessary, since there's
no problem initializing the IER and MCR registers even if DLAB is set.
It's harmless, but there doesn't cause a problem. (It does add a few
extra CPU cycles to the initialization, but most people don't care about
that. :-)

In the set of patches that I'm going to be sending to Linus, I've taken
out the extra paranoia line you added reordered the initialization of
the IER and MCR registers so it's a bit more obvious that when you set
and clear DLAB isn't a problem.

- Ted

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.046 / U:0.232 seconds]