    SubjectRe: beos-bootloader? (fwd)
    On Thu, 16 Apr 1998 linker@nightshade.ml.org wrote:

    > On Thu, 16 Apr 1998, Richard Stallman wrote:
    > [SNIP]
    > > Also, it would make sense to ask, "Is this software useful for the
    > > free software community"? If it can't be of any use except on BeOS,

    Their filesystem concept is _very_ useful. AFAIK, their filesystem
    is a transactional database of both metadata and data, while the
    BSD-FFS derivatives are just metadata databases, with pointers into
    a non-transactional data area.

    > > then its usefulness to us is limited. And if the idea is that Be will
    > > make some program free, perhaps it is best just to insist "Make the
    > > program that uses our code free".
    >
    > I imageine the best thing for all parties would be for Be to make their
    > kernel free.

    [SNIP]

    > Furthermore, even if they did not *copy* code in the kernel proper.. I'de
    > like to know what *ideas* they borrowed.. :) (i.e. they didn't just take
    > the code, but they took the concept)..

    That's no problem, since we don't patent any of our algorithms :-)

    Furthermore, Be has published all of it's philosophies and ideas
    used in their system...

    Rik.