    Subjectinitrd vs. chroot (was: Re: 2.1.95 freezes were my fault; kmod patch)
    Date
    Adam J. Richter wrote:
    > If there is interest, I would be happy to produce a patch to
    > delete all of the unnecessary kernel code and adjust
    > Documentation/initrd.txt to talk about "exec chroot /mnt /sbin/init"
    > as the way from an initial ramdisk to exit.

    Don't forget that initrd can also proceed to an NFS-mounted root. Putting
    all the tools needed for this (ifconfig, route, perhaps some BOOTP/RARP
    client, mount) onto an initrd is certainly a good idea, but you want to
    take some time for careful testing of all cases before removing the old
    procedure(s).

    Also, with exec chroot /mnt ... , can you get rid of initrd afterwards ?
    / should be busy because of /mnt, so you're stuck without something like
    the magic in change_root. This is particularly bad on systems with a big
    initrd which always need it to boot (i.e. not just during installation).
    I'm sure somebody out there must have a notebook with the hard disk on
    PCMCIA or such ...

    - Werner