    SubjectRe: Testers wanted: exorcised kmod.c: no more daemon!
    In article <19980414070102.26141@mojo.org> you write:
    >On Mon, Apr 13, 1998 at 10:32:41PM -0700, Kirk Petersen wrote:
    >> I like the idea of removing the auto unloading code, since it is
    >> something that can certainly be done in user space. An argument *could*
    >> be made that not all systems have cron. But I've been thinking, how
    >> necessary is automatic unloading? I can't think of any good example
    >> where *auto* unloading is necessary.
    >
    >If you use modules to have an apparently ``full'' featured
    >kernel in minimum memory, you only want floppy.o to be
    >loaded and taking up valuable RAM when actually using the floppy
    >drive.

    As my original posting describes, you have not lost the ability
    to do automatic unloading of modules. You just have to add a line to
    root's crontab to have "rmmod -a" execute periodically.

    "rmmod -a" does exactly the same thing as the periodic
    unloading part of the old kmod deamon. They each execute just one
    system call: unload_module(NULL). They each unload only the unused
    automatically loaded modules.

    --
    Adam J. Richter __ ______________ 4880 Stevens Creek Blvd, Suite 205
    adam@yggdrasil.com \ / San Jose, California 95129-1034