SubjectRe: beos-bootloader? (fwd)
14-Apr-98 21:22 you wrote:
> > OR, we could strike a deal with Be, placing our boot loader
> > under another copyright (a common bootloader will probably
>
> That is up to all the copyright holders. It remains to see what Be's
> actions are. For certain items of code the authors have already made
> it clear they will make no exception for Be, even if they have to invent
> the class action copyright lawsuit.
>
> Its not in Be's interest to be hit with a lawsuit barring them from
> shipping BeOS, its not in anyone's interest (except for Mr Gates who
> probably thinks its hilarious) for Be to have to fight and lose a lawsuit

Ok. Be also uses hacked loadlin and LiLo (and this fact is even written on Be's
web site :-) LiLo is under BSD-style license but loadlin is also under GPL and
here is answer from Hans Lermen:

> Well, I need a bit more Info before I can complain. Would you mind to send
> me some _prooven_ details, especially as I don't know anything about BeOS?
>
> However, I'm not a rich man, so its quite possible, that I don't have the
> money to pay a lawyer. Maybe this is something for the FSF, but their
> usual actions only take place, when the GPL is hurt for their own
> products. Loadlin's copyright is held by me, not by the FSF, I just put it
> under GPL.

But BEFORE all other actions could be taken we must find at least one guy
with BeOS CD :-(

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.122 / U:0.700 seconds]