SubjectRe: bigphysarea in 2.2
Stephen Williams writes:

> > ... standard kernel memory allocation. Static allocation like in
> > bigphysarea is more a work-around that a real solution.
>
> It is common for me to need many megabytes per board.

Yes, it is the same with us. For our MPEG-2 router/mux (demo
last week at NAB..) a typical buffer is 20 MByte, and there might
be six or eight of these in a fully loaded system; in fact the
buffers well exceed the memory used by Linux and the applications.

bigphysarea is very simple and fits the need perfectly. We could
deal with physically fragmented memory and do many small calls to
the normal Linux allocator, but it's just more hair.

Cheers,
Peter Monta

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.182 / U:0.136 seconds]