SubjectRe: patch for 2.1.92 net/socket.c et al
   Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1998 19:46:49 -0700
From: Bill Hawes <whawes@transmeta.com>

Another tcp problem I spotted recently in tcp_do_sendmsg() concerns
the calculation of mss_now. It's being set before entering the
loop over the iovec components, but if the allocation of an skb has
to wait for memory, the socket lock will be dropped and the value
of mss_now might change. It's not likely, but could happen ...

I was thinking of fixing this by putting mss_now in the af_tcp
structure and keeping it in sync whenever one of its dependencies
change -- does this seem like a reasonable approach?

No, please. As a general rule, make adding a new thing to the sock or
af_tcp struct the last choice, and only do it if all other options
fail ;-)

I'd personally keep the current calculation scheme, and add the
recalculation when returning from the sleep with the socket lock
dropped.

Will you be syncing your network changes soon? I'd rather hold off
further changes until you get your latest code posted.

Yes, I hope to do it tomorrow night. Stay tuned... but always feel
free to feed me more patches (like a fix for the mss_now problem)
anyways, I can make sure it goes in cleanly and handle conflicts if
any, especially with the networking code.

Later,
David S. Miller
davem@dm.cobaltmicro.com

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.933 / U:0.304 seconds]