SubjectRe: 2.1.95: freezes persist
>Adam, you're the only one who reports this really soon (and
>apparently without any major load).

I reported the problem really soon because we have a parallel
mirror process that runs hourly, and I saw the new kernel being
loaded into our mirror, and within minutes of that completing I was
checking it into our cvs tree, and within minutes of that I was
building it with an automated build process that allowed me to
avoid doing configuration (save another 15 minutes), and within
minutes of the full build (albiet with all of the modules) completing,
I was booting the new kernel, and within minutes of the machine locking
up, I was booting a standby kernel, and within minutes of fsck finishing
I was sending email not just through vger (which takes about 30
minutes to turn around), but also directly to you. It is also Good
Friday and Passover tonight, so there might be a slight reduction in
kernel testing activity this evening. For these reasons, I think
that the kernel problem that I have reported may not be as rare as
might appear.

>What's special about your setup?

Not the hardware. I have an Intel AL440LX single CPU
motherboard with builtin sound. The only IDE device is an IDE
CDROM. All of my cards are PCI. Here is the output of lspci:

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 440LX - 82443LX PAC Host (rev 03)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 440LX - 82443LX PAC AGP (rev 03)
00:07.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82371AB PIIX4 ISA (rev 01)
00:07.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82371AB PIIX4 IDE (rev 01)
00:07.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82371AB PIIX4 USB (rev 01)
00:07.3 Bridge: Intel Corporation 82371AB PIIX4 ACPI (rev 01)
00:0d.0 SCSI storage controller: Symbios Logic Inc. (formerly NCR) 53c875J (rev 04)
00:0e.0 VGA compatible controller: S3 Inc. ViRGE/VX (rev 02)
00:10.0 Ethernet controller: Digital Equipment Corporation DECchip 21140 [FasterNet] (rev 22)

In terms of software, my configuration is a little unusual I
suppose. Here is what comes to mind:

1. I am runing what one might call a "fully modularized" kernel.
The only modules that are compiled into the kernel are romfs
and ramdisk. An initial ramdisk loads the scsi disk and ext2
filesystem modules.
2. The kernel that I am running is modified so that it can run
kmod in the initial ramdisk. (Kmod chroots when the ramdisk
process chroots or the new root is mounted, but I digress.
I've been meaning to submit this enhancement.)
3. The kernel that I am running has those patches to get
various device drivers and features to compile (I have
sent them to this list, to this list, and I would be happy
to send them again).
4. In case you're wondering, this kernel does not have
anything really fancy in it, like the SMP+lazy FPU
patch that I did yesterday or those buffer cache
changes that for supporting a log filesytem that are
in the kernels that I usually use.

I will build an unmodified 2.1.95 with the scsi and ethernet
support compiled in and let you know if that makes a difference.

Adam J. Richter __ ______________ 4880 Stevens Creek Blvd, Suite 205
adam@yggdrasil.com \ / San Jose, California 95129-1034
fax +1 408 261-6631 "Free Software For The Rest Of Us."

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.337 / U:0.912 seconds]