SubjectRe: GGI and cli/sti in X

On Sun, 29 Mar 1998, Andreas Kostyrka wrote:

> > So please, people, consider just sending a bug-report to the XFree86
> > team, and explaining the issue, and maybe even giving them a hint on how
> > to fix it, for example. They may not listen to you, but _nobody_ will
>
> Ok. So I've got a S3V/DX P100 box, that just locks up randomly on
> server downshut. The whole box is dead. (No network, etc.) So WHAT should
> I write as a bug report? No dumps, no debug output, etc.
> And to make it more difficult, the box is with a client :(

If the whole box is dead, the first suspicion is a hardware interference
thing. Nothing _could_ help. Not GGI, not a new X server, not a miracle
from God. Well, the miracle actually probably would do the trick.

Really. There _are_ problems like this. The symptoms are exactly as you
describe: a dead box that doesn't answer to anything. Talk about it on the
XFree86 newsgroups, maybe they'll give you hints (maybe there is a BIOS
parameter that has an effect, or maybe there are known incompatibilities
with some other controller in the machine).

The point is that this is not something that is fixed by a change of
policy: it is fixed by either fixing the hardware or by having a software
workaround (like the Pentium f0 0f bug workaround or by adding delay
cycles that hide the problem or..) or by fixing a real software bug (maybe
the X server does something bad to the card).

But why do you believe that bug would go away by using the kernel to do
the text mode restore? If the bug could be fixed in the kernel, it can
equally well be fixed in the X server - and debugging the X server is a
_lot_ easier to do, so it is much more likely to be fixed in the X server
than it would be to be fixed in the kernel.

Linus

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.166 / U:0.652 seconds]