SubjectRe: 2.0.91 bad more info

My general impression is that 2.0.91 may be faster on systems that have a
lot of RAM but on "tight" systems, it is very poor. A make dep has taken
nearly 30 minutes so far. It got "stuck" at one point where I could see
the disk access lamp flashing in a regular pattern (flash, wait 1 sec,
flash, wait 3 sec, then repeat) I could switch to another VT but got no
response at the login prompt for a very long time then it suddenly "broke
loose" and I got the password prompt and the make dep continued. I have
had no trouble compiling anything since .89 though I did not attempt some
of the pre-91s because of the reported swapping-to-death.

On Sat, 28 Mar 1998, Shaw Carruthers wrote:

> I have had a wide variety of funnies under 2.1.91 which I presume are due
> to the new patched kmod I installed.
>
> These include various oopses, sigsegv, signal 11, and;
>
> /var/log/warn:Mar 28 14:31:23 shawc kernel: free_one_pmd: bad directory
> entry 000000cc
>
> and
>
> /var/log/warn:Mar 28 18:38:57 shawc kernel: get_unused_fd: slot 3 not
> NULL!
>
> These type of things happen fairly often but are not reproducible.
>

> --
> Shaw Carruthers - shaw@shawc.demon.co.uk
> London SW14 7JW UK
> This is not a sig( with homage to Magritte).

George Bonser
Just be thankful that Microsoft does not manufacture pharmaceuticals.
http://www.debian.org

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.085 / U:0.060 seconds]