SubjectPS/2 mouse buzzing resolved & a hint for those who get the same s ort of problem.
Date
Hello comrades. (well, my country used to be communist, but "not
anymore" ;-).

Some of you may find the following of use if you get the same
type of buzzing, when you move your mouse around while GPM or X is
active, as I was getting on a Gateway 2000, Pentium 133 Mhz, no sound
card, int. speaker only, PS/2 mouse.

A very competent person from the United Kingdom, who seems to
know the intrinsics of Linux(Unix) & Windows '95 and has familiarity
with hardware architecture by the name of Alan
(alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk, not sure about his last name) responded to my
plea that it was the 'HLT' instruction (used to power down the CPU as
much as possible when Linux is in idle state), that was causing the
buzzing when the PS/2 mouse was moved around. When I disabled the 'hlt'
option (no-hlt at boot prompt), the buzzing disappeared at any type of
mouse movement, whether GPM or X.

The only difference between using hlt and not using it, he said,
it'd be power consumption, and that Linux(the CPU, actually) will get
"as hot as" Windows '95 without the HLT instruction being used :->.
Linux performance is not affected whatsoever by using or not using the
'hlt'.

Perhaps, it would not be a bad idea if someone updated an FAQ
that is fit for this type of problem, maybe the Mouse faq, to let all
know when they encounter a similar problem to this one(I don't know who
maintains the mouse faq, but I'll try to contact him). I can't help it
that Gateway 2000's machines have poor power units who aren't properly
installed/shielded, and I doubt even if I brought it to their attention
that they would believe me, some unknown Linux user tells them their
computers are not OK ....

The responses I have received from this list have been of immense help.
Thank you and I hope Linux goes on to evolve forever and ever. (I've had
it for 3 years).

Martin

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.031 / U:0.168 seconds]