SubjectRe: mouse noise speculation - sound card related
On Fri, 6 Mar 1998, David L. Parsley wrote:

> I, too, have had trouble with extraneous noise from my Linux box while
> moving the mouse. I noted that, with no sound driver, no problem. I
> also noted that under Win95, no problem. My speculation: I assume that
> the sound card is picking up some electrical noise;
Correct. Some soundcards pick noise from some of their inputs.

> so why no noise under W95?
Simply because the mixer volume settings are different in Win95 and Linux.

The solution is very simple. Use a mixer program and decrease volumes of
the _INPUTS_ one at time. At the moment the noise disappears you know the
source. After that you can set this input to 0 after boot.

Don't try to cure this problem by decreasing main volume since it
decreases volume of the "payload" too.

Best regards,

Hannu
-----
Hannu Savolainen (hannu@opensound.com)
http://www.fi.opensound.com/~hannu (personal)
http://www.opensound.com/oss.html (Open Sound System (OSS))
http://www.opensound.com/ossfree (OSS Free/TASD/VoxWare)

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.168 / U:0.008 seconds]