    SubjectRe: WLinux -> Subverting Windows by making Linux available to MS users
    On Sun, 29 Mar 1998, Stephen D. Williams wrote:

    > > > this scheme the Linux distribution would be shrinkwrap and totally
    > > > portable. In other words, an application vendor could develop for
    > > > Linux (very desirable of course) and deploy on a CDROM with a
    > > > mini-distribution of WLinux that runs transparently under Win95/NT.
    > > That can be done by writing a portable code and compiling it natively for both
    > > platforms - much easier than writing WLinux...
    > WLinux is something you write once. I don't WANT to write Win32 apps...
    You don't have to. You can use a C++ library that is portable between the two
    OSes (there are some) or, if your app is console-centered, simply compile it
    with the gcc-Win32. Even DJGPP can produce Win32 apps without the need for
    Win32 knowledge (using EasyWin, or whatever it is called)

    > In anycase, that's only one use of WLinux, there's also the learning,
    > 'trying it out' situations, and a number of others where having a true
    > Linux environment would be very useful.
    Hmm... now that I think of it, you might be right. But the important matter is
    the policy - how to make the Wusers know that they are actually using Linux,
    not Win32?

    > > > supplying the backwards route has some very interesting consequences
    > > > that are only helpful.
    > > I think that the only consequence would be winning more market for Micro$oft -
    > > the wouldn't announce that the non-crashing and better applications aren't
    > > their own, but created by independent vendor(s).
    > You can look at it either way. In fact, you could just as easily
    > argue that it's increasing Linux's market share. As I mentioned
    > earlier, you could get to the point where Linux was running on more
    > desktops than Win95. (If you got most of the Win95 desktops to run
    > WLinux for any reason, this would be true.)
    Running itself isn't enough. People must know what they're running - and I
    still don't think that the average Joe Winuser will care what is under the
    hood as long as it looks like "those cute and easy to use Windows".

    > This would be a very forceful and influencing statement to make.
    Yes - if there's enough power to make it through the M$ money.

    > > > Believe me, when I have an emulator of any kind that can run Win95 and
    > > > Win32 apps under native Linux, I'll be running it everyday.
    > > WINE's pretty good already.
    > Last I looked (about a month ago on the official websites) it wouldn't
    > even come close to running Corel Draw/Paint, AOL Client, MS
    > Word/Excel, WordPerfect, etc.
    I run M$ Word 6 on the latest snapshot. Didn't use it for anything serious,
    just started it. Also the Opera browser works just fine for me.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.020 / U:7.848 seconds]