    SubjectRe: Securelevel bitmap patch
    At 2:41 PM +0200 3/30/98, Harald Koenig wrote:
    >maybe just don't call it `child capabilities' but `maximum capabilities'.
    >
    >I know these priviledge bitmaps from good old VAX/VMS times and it was
    >pretty handy that you have been allowed to remove all those authorized
    >priviledges for your own process jsut for now, and later on you can
    >enable those priviledges back again (but only those which have been
    >marked in your `maximum capabilities' or (VMS style) "authorized privs".

    Yep, and please define a set of 'default capabilities' per user as well :-)
    Plus the 'process rights identifiers' come to mind to regulate per-object
    access. VMS was quite powerful in that respect, but a little too complex
    for everyday use. Learn from it but try to keep it simpler.

    >the same is true for nice levels (VMS: process priorities).
    >sometimes it was convenient to be allowed to lower the oen priority (slow
    >down)
    >for a while, but being allowed to increase it later again up to the normal
    >nice level sometimes makes it more conveniant and more likely to `be nice'
    >for at least some time.

    VMS priorities and nice levels don't really compare. Changing the priority
    from
    4 to 3 would drop you from 90% to 1% CPU time IIRC. Please don't do _that_
    for Linux :-)

    Michael

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:2.275 / U:0.176 seconds]