SubjectRe: Securelevel bitmap patch
On Mon, 30 Mar 1998, Andrej Presern wrote:

[snip]
> Notice that in a true capability model /etc/passwd is just another
> object, same as (for example) your ~/.profile, so you could as well let
> the _users_ create their own execute_~_.profile capability and delegate
> it to other users (and even their own processes, selectively that is).
> Carefull observers have probably already noticed that this model is
> clearly superior to any form of ACLs since having a capability is
> sufficient for the process to be granted the desired access. Besides
> being very flexible, this model also simplifies and speeds up a lot of
> things, and - considerably improves security.

This can be done by creating a group, and playing with chmod. I do this on
my system alreaddy. I'll bet you can go even farther with suid and some
dummy users. This is all userspace stuff.

Gerhard

--
Gerhard Mack
gmack@imag.net

As a computer I find your faith in technology amusing.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:42    [W:0.107 / U:0.132 seconds]