    SubjectEver growing directories [Re: WEIRD ext2fs dir size BUG?]
    On 1998-03-02 at 16:34:07, Anthony DeBoer wrote:
    > Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> writes:
    > > For some things like news servers an e2fsdefrag or e2fsck option to
    > > compact directories might be useful.
    >
    > In the general case, if the number of files in a directory has
    > previously hit some high-water mark, there's a chance it'll happen
    > again, and having that much contiguous space allocated to the
    > directory should be a win.

    Another example is qmail's "todo" directory, (description from vague
    memories alert) it will contain a new file for each new injected one,
    and the directory will be normally emptied in a similar pace by another
    daemon. The normal size of this directory thus is pretty normal.
    However, under pathologically high traffic (cf. hotmail), a short
    downtime of this daemon might cause this directory to grow ridiculously
    large. After that, operations in the todo directory will be always
    slower than it was originally.

    I too know how to fix things up after such an accident, but even if not
    wrong, it's clearly disadvantageous for the kernel to not fix what it
    knows must be fixed.

    And there is the usual excuse that system programmers should know better
    to avoid known weak points in Unix implementations, but Linux has shown
    multiple times that it's sometimes possible to handle pathological cases
    very well, while still handling usual cases significantly better than
    others. :)

    Oh, I just realized that noone would object a working implementation. :)
    Sorry, not this time, maybe other interesting things soon.

    --
    Janos - Don't worry, my address is real. I'm just bored of spam.