    SubjectDetecting media insertion
            I am trying to figure out how to detect insertion of media
    (such as a CDROM, floppy or zip cartridge) without noticeable physical
    hardware activity. For example, I would like to bring up a CDROM icon
    as soon as the user inserts a CDROM without the user having to do
    anything else to bring this to the computer's attention, just like
    under Windows.

    Simply trying to read a byte every second from /dev/fd0 or the
    CDROM device is unacceptable, because that causes the floppy to
    spin up and make a lot of noise and causes the cdrom drive to retract
    its tray.

    I don't believe that there is currently any ioctl defined
    or this purpose or even a defined way for kernel code to get this
    information from a device driver, but I'd like to know if there is.

    Any pointers would be appreciated.

    --
    Adam J. Richter __ ______________ 4880 Stevens Creek Blvd, Suite 205
    adam@yggdrasil.com \ / San Jose, California 95129-1034