SubjectRe: 2.1.92-1 is 50% better
While testing the million monkey theory, Greg Lee wrote:
>I have 16MB ram. With 2.1.91 I could neither compile anything nor
>use X windows with one xterm without a swapping frenzy. Now, with
>2.1.92-1 I can either compile or use X, but not both. More
>specifically, trying "make modules" from an xterm window led to
>a 5 minute episode of swapping before my ^C was heard.
My 2.1.91 on P166 with 32 MB RAM has swapped my system to death.
It happened three times, when I was the only user logged. The first
time during KDE compilation, the second time when I was working in X,
reading 2 MB PostScript file. Suddenly the machine started swapping
system slowed down and then it becomes totally unusable. Mouse didn't
work, neither did keyboard. I rebooted with Magic SysRq. The third
time was most amazing. I left idle machine - with no users, no large
processes, just few standard daemons - for night and went to sleep.
When I woke up at 5 AM. the disk was working like mad, swapping
all the time. Machine was totaly unusable.

Kris
--
Krzysztof G. Baranowski - President of the Harmless Manyacs' Club
"Smith & Wesson - The original point and click interface..."