SubjectGGI and cli/sti in X
Date
I just took quick a look at the 3.3.2 server sources,
and it seems to disable interrupts very briefly when programming
the certain clock chips. it looked like this happens for only
some chips, and it certainly is extremely brief and infrequent.
if that's correct, the only issue would be taking a page fault
inside the sequence and alignment should completely prevent this...

in any case, Linus's conservative approach to GGI is excellent;
most people are indeed *not* religiously opposed to X. personally,
I've _never_ had an X bug cause video problems or a crash,
and I've been using Linux and X for more than a couple years.

regards, mark hahn.
--
operator may differ from spokesperson. hahn@neurocog.lrdc.pitt.edu
http://neurocog.lrdc.pitt.edu/~hahn/