    SubjectRe: WLinux, kinda [OFFTOPIC] comment
    > The WLinux idea (high level):
    >
    > Create a configuration and distribution of Linux that will run 'under'
    > Win95 and WinNT using virtual device stubs to access native device

    Sounds like a decent idea but.. Have you taken into account the fact that
    when windows crashes (heh) so will WLinux? Besides, call me paranoid if
    you want, but if you give problems to Gates be sure he'll find a way to
    either buy it or make it useless with some new feature that is needed
    for windows to work and that renders WLinux unoperative.

    Let's face it, if all keeps going the way it's going now, we'll soon see
    how microsoft really dominates the pc scene both in the software and
    hardware layer, and as stated in linux-kernel before, linux users will
    have to use sucky win98 stuff, use alternative (and prolly low
    performance) hardware or move to some other architecture.

    If ms can scare OEMs enough so they keep installing IE, or to keep silence
    of why they don't install it, and with all that win98/pc99 rumours
    floating around, why don't you think we are about to say bye to our x86?

    - "Hey look, this new card is for windows and only $xx!"
    - "Yes, but it's braindead and will hurt your performance. Take that one
    over there. Besides, it's not an ope.."
    - "Why that one?"
    - "Because it's better, sinc.."
    - "But I can do the same with this one, it's cheaper, and its for windows!"

    Just because windows has such a big share of the OS market, in who do you
    think manufacturers will focus? Joe Winloser, or Joe Linuxer? With who do
    you feel they will make more money?

    Of course, it might result in people buying more, say, alphas, and the
    price of those alphas going doooown even more so the price/performance
    ratio is quite more competitive and incentivates people to buy. Me? Nobody
    is going to force me to use such $%^# hardware (and by extension, only
    what Gates wants me to run), and I hope there are more people out of there
    with the same opinion.

    *sigh* Long Live Linux! :) .. and sorry for the rambling.

    ____/| Ragnar Hojland (tech.support@redestb.es) [LLL] Fingerprint 94C4B
    \ o.O| 2F0D27DE025BE2302C
    =(_)= "Thou shalt not follow the NULL pointer for 104B78C56 B72F0822
    U chaos and madness await thee at its end." hkp://keys.pgp.com

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.020 / U:151.920 seconds]