    SubjectRe: GGI Project Unhappy On Linux
    On Fri, 27 Mar 1998, George Bonser wrote:

    > On Fri, 27 Mar 1998, Richard B. Johnson wrote:
    [SNIPPED]

    > Well, then it seems to me that what you are REALLY saying is that it is
    > not Windows that will be dominant so much as it is the Windows API and
    > that if Microsoft were forced to release that API in excruciating detail,
    > Linux could outwindow windows. Let Microsoft keep the Windows code but

    No sane person would ever use the Windows calling convention.
    [SNIPPED]

    > I think this, in a nutshell, is what the Caldera lawsuit is all about.
    > They do not want the Windows code, they want the API so they can buld a
    > DIFFERENT platform that will be capable of allowing a user to drop an
    > application into Linux or some other OS and allow it to run.

    I think you are correct.

    > Microsoft is now going to hide behind NT because it is explicitly exempted
    > from the consent decree. They will be forced to release the Windows API
    > at about the time they announce that they are abandoning it.

    I think you are correct here too.

    Cheers,
    Dick Johnson
    ***** FILE SYSTEM MODIFIED *****
    Penguin : Linux version 2.1.91 on an i586 machine (66.15 BogoMips).

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.021 / U:127.796 seconds]