SubjectRe: GGI Project Unhappy On Linux
On 26 Mar 1998, david parsons wrote:

> >> not even counting Compaq, with BIOS setup done through Windows.
> >And you think it's so wonderful? I do prefer the usual textmode BIOS interface
> >which is fast and efficient. And Windoze-based BIOS/monitor (like Phillips
> >Brilliance)/Printer setup programs are a sick idea IMHO!
> >
> >> No, this is real. You might get a really slow software emulation,
> >> like the console of a Sun workstation. SPARC Linux bypasses that
> >> because it is too damn slow for real work.
> >What are you talking about? PCs have always had a text mode and it worked
> >good. So I see no reason why would it disappear!
>
> Who uses it?
>
> Netware and Linux, that's who. Windows only uses text mode for
> bootup and full-screen dos emulation.
All Unix systems use it. Why is everybody looking at windows like it was the
only direction software can go to? OK, hardware vendors are doing it, but
that's natural - but isn;t it possible to change it by showing them that there
ARE other solutions? And call me a dreamer, but I observer that more and more
serious customers previously running any kind of windoze are switching to
either OS/2 or some kind of Unix - they want their data to be safe and not a
desktop to look beautiful in the first place.

> If text mode makes the card more expensive (like, say, UARTS in
> modems, or rendering engines in printers), you can rest assured
> that most vendors will convert to graphic-only display adaptors
> as fast as their stubby little feet will go.
Fine, but why the war about the textmode? It goes - fine, let it go! The
original issue that started this textmode discussion was hardware that relies
on windoze to do its job - is such hardware the only thing we can expect in
the future? Then when Linux will be called Winux?

best wishes, marek
---
Arguments are extremely vulgar, for everyone in good society holds exactly
the same opinion
Oscar Wilde

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.034 / U:0.052 seconds]