SubjectRe: ESC [12m
Try ESCc (no, no square bracket, just an escape, followed by a
lower-case 'c'). It does a neat job of resetting your terminal emulation
attributes.

ESC[<n>m sets the certain types of terminals (vt100 most notably) into
'alternate' character-sets, fonts, and what-have-you.

Riley Williams wrote:

> Hi there.
>
> I've been playing with the ANSI code sequences recently, and
> discovered that the above sequence causes the displayed character
> set to go wierd every time, with only logging out and back in
> curing it.
>
> Can somebody please tell me what the above sequence is supposed to
> do, and what I ought to be doing to clear it - I'm not fond of
> logging out unnecessarily...
>
> Best wishes from Riley.
>
> -

Did you read the documentation AND the FAQ?
If not, I'll probably still answer your question, but my patience will
be limited, and you take the risk of sarcasm and ridicule.