SubjectInstability of my Linux system.

Lately for unknown reasons, my RH5.0 linux systems appears to be
extremely unstable. I have a PII/300, 64Mb of RAM, one IDE drive, two WD
Enterprise II SCSI drives, a HP SCSI DAT streamer and a SCSI CDROM.
Furthermore there's a 3COM 3C509 card installed as well as a Gravis
Ultrasound MAX. So far the hardware config. An extra remark: I have
none-EDO SIMMS installed, while my motherboard supports EDO and such. The
SIMMS are not all that old though.

The software installed is almost pure RH5.0 only, including most of the
updates on RH5.0's site. I installed the 2.0.33 kernel (not RH5.0, but
just a kernel that I ftp'ed coz I seem to be having problems compiling the
RH kernel (is this thing modified?!?!) The only none-standard option in
the kernel is the masquerading that I'm running on it because there's
another computer on my ethernet that also uses the internet.

I'm getting lots of 'general pprotection's in my /var/log/messages and
it all appears to be related to how much memory I'm consuming. I've seen
such general protections from just about every process, so I can't say
that it's really process specific. It happens often on netscape but that
might be related to the fact that netscape loves to eat a lot 'o memory.

I won't bore this list with a lot of log cut&pastes. Something tells me
that there's something fishy with my memory chips, since this has in the
past often been the cause of such mysterious problems. I would like to get
a pointer to how to find out whether there's a real problem with my memory
instead of just running to the hardware store and buying new and see if it
goes away. So, if somebody can help me with this, please email me
personally with addresses/program counters/whatever's in the general
protection messages that's relevant to finding this problem.

Thanks,
Fred Leeflang

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:0.023 / U:0.188 seconds]