    SubjectRe: GGI Project Unhappy On Linux
    On Thu, 26 Mar 1998, Rik van Riel wrote:

    > On 26 Mar 1998, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
    >
    > > By author: "Albert D. Cahalan" <acahalan@cs.uml.edu>
    > > >
    > > > That is _your_ BIOS. In case you haven't noticed, some BIOS setup
    > > > programs already run in graphics mode, with a mouse even. That's
    > > > not even counting Compaq, with BIOS setup done through Windows.
    > > >

    > > Actually, it is "fake" graphics mode -- it's a technique called
    > > character tiling. It's a stupid idea, too.
    >
    > Why stupid? It's simple, cheap and relatively slick-looking.
    > It could be cheaper than a purely graphical penguin...

    1 It's aggravatingly slow, interface wise.

    2 It hides the potential dangers, no matter how easy the interface looks
    there are options in there that shoudn't be played with. If the interface
    looks imposing then at least people more are likely to be carefull with
    it.

    Gerhard

    --
    Gerhard Mack
    gmack@imag.net

    As a computer I find your faith in technology amusing.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:41    [W:3.417 / U:0.004 seconds]